Monday, August 16, 2010

One Month Vegan Strong!

I have some relatively strange reasons for choosing veganism. I've always wanted to be a vegetarian and have dabbled in it here and there. Veganism always sounded entirely too extreme. Factory farming aside, its not like it hurts a cow to get milked or a chicken to give an egg.

My life has been pretty crazy lately and all of a sudden I'm faced with more options than I've ever had. I've gotten rid of most possessions and got out of a relationship. Intentionally or otherwise I've lost so many things. Suddenly I could do anything I've ever wanted. A friend gave me some existentialist advice. "Freedom enslaves you because there are too many choices and you are solely responsible for them." I had to start with just one choice. Something I would have to deal with every day that would limit my options.

The result is something I'm very proud of. Even when I am most hard on myself, I know I am doing something that is good for the world and for myself. This month I've probably spent less than $80 on food. I've lost a good bit of weight. This definitely wasn't the goal, but I do feel better. I have more energy to deal with this $h!t storm.

I'm hoping that over the next thirty days I'll have some more substantial reasons. Perhaps this process will make me more conscientious about every aspect of my life, my connection to the world, and everything in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment